Monday, July 16, 2012

Disconnecting.

Lately I have been feeling the urge to disconnect from the social media world, but mostly Facebook. Social networking has truly taken over a huge part of our lives and has ruined the way that we communicate with people in person. When people are out to eat with their families, they have their phones permanently glued to their face the entire time and aren't truly enjoying the company of those around them. I see friends who are hanging out together, and have experienced this myself, where one person is glued to their phone while the other is trying to have a conversation but ends up feeling ignored.

I am not perfect and have fallen victim to the negatives of being socially connected. I have gone through countless times to delete friends on Facebook who aren't necessarily my 'friends' but people who like to see what I'm doing and vice versa. Essentially this is stalking. I find it sickening and odd that I will be on a friend's page and I will keep continuously clicking and then I'm looking through pictures of someone that I barely know.

I enjoy using my Facebook for posting pictures, seeing what friends are up to, keeping in contact with friends who have moved away, and also for group projects for class. Facebook does have some positives in the way that it can be used, but also has way more of a negative aspect about it. I'm not sure when my 'disconnect' will happen, but the more and more that I think about it, I'm thinking it will be soon.

Have you ever felt the need to 'disconnect' from the social world?

2 comments:

  1. I think your observations are brilliant, Sky! Good for you....be the master of social media, not the other way around. Technology is great, and I love my computer, my smart phone, etc., but I strictly control it because I have seen the tendency of it to creep, like an overgrown vine, into my life and relationships with all the tendrils that an out of control vine has.

    I hope your idea takes root in others! I read a wonderful book years ago called "The Shelter of Each Other" by Mary Pipher about disconnected families. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am realizing how sad it is that our generation is so dependent on social networking and our electronic devices. We have forgotten how to communicate with each other in the way that we were meant to... in person! I will have to check out that book :)

      Delete